TrueView skippable YouTube ads are no longer available. But this is not the time to panic. Or is it? I am kind of panicking. Usually, when Google makes changes to their platform it is because they want to make more money. They are great at ruining a good thing.
Here is what Google had to stay.
To help you achieve more conversions at an efficient cost, we’re evolving TrueView for action and scaling its best features to more places with Video action campaigns. Video action campaigns allow you to reach more customers in high-performing places on and off YouTube–all within one campaign. Now, when you create a Video campaign that uses the “Sales”, “Leads”, or “Website traffic” goal, it will run as a Video action campaign. Starting early 2022, all existing TrueView for action campaigns will automatically upgrade to Video action campaigns.
When Google makes a change it’s best to learn the new system as quickly as possible Here’s my take on what you should do…
Learn everything you can about Video Action Campaigns.
About Video action campaigns
Since nobody can create a NEW old-school trueview for action skippable ads. You have to use their video action ads which are basically the old responsive video ads. Here’s how they work.
- Ad formats: Video action campaigns use a mix of skippable in-stream ads and in-feed video ads within one campaign, while TrueView for action campaigns only use skippable in-stream ads.
- Inventory: Video action campaigns are designed to get you as many conversions as possible, so they show in more places on and off YouTube (for example, the YouTube Home feed). TrueView for action campaigns only show on the YouTube watch page and Google video partners.
- Ad assets: Since Video action campaigns allow you to use in-feed video ads, you can add a longer headline and a description to your ad (in addition to the ad assets that come with skippable in-stream ads). The longer headline and the description appear when the ad runs on the YouTube Home feed.
Actions you need to take now
In early 2022, all Trueview for action ads (Skippable only) are automatically being upgraded to video action campaigns (which don’t allow you to just select skippable).
It’s meant to drive more conversions by accessing more placements and allowing you to add more information to your ad. What’s the difference between TrueView for Action and video action ads?
Trueview for action allowed you to select whether you just wanted to serve your ads on Youtube with skippable ads or use responsive ads which served across multiple placements.
Video action campaigns have gotten rid of this choice of using just skippable ads and now only allow you to use responsive campaigns. Video Action Ads are designed to get you as many conversions as possible, so they show in more places on and off Youtube.
Standard ads only show on the Youtube watch page and Google video partners. Video action ads now require more information such as long headlines and descriptions for when they are placed on Video Discovery.
Before the upgrade occurs in 2022, you can:
- Create new Video action campaigns. Any new Video action campaigns that you create are automatically opted into all available networks (such as the YouTube home feed and Google video partners).
- Copy existing TrueView for action campaigns and paste them as Video action campaigns. You can also copy and paste existing ad groups in your campaigns.
- Continue making changes to your existing TrueView for action campaigns. Keep in mind that once your existing campaigns stop running, you’ll need to create new Video action campaigns instead. I don’t suggest this option.
This means your ads will be shown on YouTube’s home feed, watch page, watch next feed, and Google video partners.
When to use
Video action campaigns may be a good choice for you if:
- You want to use video to drive action to your business, service, or product.
- You’re looking to increase scale or improve CPA performance and efficiency.
- You already use conversion tracking in your campaigns.
How it works
- Video action campaigns use the skippable in-stream and in-feed video ads formats.
- The video that you include in the campaign should be at least 10 seconds in length.
- Ads included in your campaign can use a call-to-action (CTA), headline (both short and long), and a description in the creative.
- Some features aren’t supported on all ad formats included in Video action campaigns. For example, contextual targeting is supported for skippable in-stream ads but isn’t supported for in-feed video ads that appear in the YouTube Home feed.
- You can add extensions (for example, sitelinks or lead forms) or a product feed to your campaign to influence conversions. Keep in mind that adding extensions or other creative options to the campaign may change the appearance or functionality of the ads included in the campaign.
Good or Bad?
Since you have less control your spending is going to increase. Impressions will most likely go up along with your Cost Per Conversion that is because we are now utilizing the Discovery network as well as video.
Is this a good or bad thing? Any change for a marketer is a bad thing at the start normally. It means learning how to navigate a new system when you already have so much going on. It takes away an element of control on where your money is spent which is always frustrating.
Learning how to get conversions on Video Discovery is going to be a new learning curve that you can’t hide from.
However, this will help newbies AND get rid of lazy marketers. It will make you learn something new which will help you utilize the discovery network. Google is promising to drive more conversions (we’ve heard that before!) But it does open up a bigger target audience. But remember that it ultimately depends on how good the ad is at grabbing the attention of the person watching! So make sure that offer is gold. What we recommend…You aren’t going to get back just skippable ad targeting so dive in headfirst.
So keep the same ad collateral as your old skippable ads. You will need to leverage any work you’ve done on display or discovery campaigns.
Start by testing your best assets on those in your video action ads. If you haven’t done any of that, leverage your best-performing ad creatives on Facebook for headlines and descriptions. We have seen cheaper traffic and cheaper CPCs thanks to Video Discovery, but similar CPLs still. But there is more volume. It’s all about getting the best out of each placement.