How to Create an Engaging and Informative Explainer Video
Explainer videos are a powerful tool for communicating your brand’s message and educating your target audience. They are concise, visually appealing, and easy to understand. Whether you’re promoting a product, explaining a service, or introducing your brand, an explainer video can effectively convey your message and captivate your viewers. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of explainer videos, share some tips for creating compelling videos, and showcase examples of the best explainer videos out there.
Types of Explainer Videos
There are various types of explainer videos, each suited for different purposes and target audiences. Some common types include:
1. Live-action: These videos feature real people and are best for businesses selling physical products or people-focused services.
2. Animated: Animated videos are created using animation techniques and are great for explaining abstract concepts or software products.
3. Whiteboard: Whiteboard videos involve hand-drawn or digitally created illustrations on a whiteboard-like background. They are effective for storytelling and simplifying complex ideas.
4. Screencast: Screencast videos capture screen recordings of users demonstrating a product or service. They are perfect for tutorials and demonstrations.
Explainer Video Tips
To ensure your explainer video is engaging and effective, consider the following tips:
1. Keep it short: Aim for a video length of 30 to 90 seconds. If your video needs to be longer, use creativity to keep your audience’s attention throughout.
2. Get to the point: Grab your viewers’ attention and clearly communicate your message within the first 30 seconds of the video.
3. Use simple language: Avoid jargon and technical terms that might confuse or bore your viewers. Keep your language accessible and easy to understand.
4. Use the second-person perspective: Address your viewers directly by using words like “you” and “your” to create a personal connection.
5. Maintain a casual tone: Speak to your viewers conversationally, as if you’re having a one-on-one chat with them.
How to Make an Explainer Video
The process of creating an explainer video involves several steps. Here’s a general guide:
1. Write your video script: Craft a clear and compelling script that introduces the problem, presents your product or service as the solution, and includes a call-to-action.
2. Record a high-quality voiceover: Use a professional audio setup or hire a voiceover artist to ensure clear and high-quality sound.
3. Determine your production method: Decide whether to hire a freelancer or production company to animate or voice your video, or if you’ll DIY it using your smartphone. Crowdsourcing is also an option to reduce costs.
4. Add music and sound effects: Enhance your video’s engagement by incorporating a catchy soundtrack and relevant sound effects. Ensure you have the proper licensing for any music you use.
5. Upload and track performance: Once your video is complete, upload it to your chosen platform and track its performance to gain insights for future improvements.
10 Examples of Exceptional Explainer Videos
To spark your creativity, here are 10 of the best explainer videos we’ve come across:
1. Grammarly: This video explains the features of Grammarly’s business version concisely and in a conversational tone.
2. Synthesia: Synthesia’s video uses a storytelling approach to showcase its video production platform’s features and uses.
3. Feels: Feels’ animated explainer video passionately explains how users can add meaning to the gifts they give.
4. Walmart – YMS: Walmart’s whiteboard explainer video effectively illustrates how their Yard Management System works.
5. Inventory Ahead: This screencast explainer video gives viewers a first-person perspective on how to navigate the platform to track inventory.
6. Purina: Purina’s short and colorful animated video communicates their mission of providing nutritious pet food.
7. Freighty: Freighty’s explainer video empathizes with e-commerce companies and demonstrates how their solution solves common problems.
8. Fiverr: Fiverr’s narrative-driven video follows four entrepreneurs benefiting from the platform’s services.
9. UberEats: UberEats’ video provides step-by-step instructions on how to make money delivering for the company.
10. Spotify: Spotify’s explainer video features Billie Eilish and her brother explaining the importance of their upcoming HiFi feature.
When crafting an explainer video, focus on creating short, compelling content that engages your audience and achieves your messaging goals. Consider the type of explainer video that best suits your message, follow best practices, and draw inspiration from successful examples. By creating an informative and engaging explainer video, you’ll effectively communicate your brand’s message and capture your viewers’ attention.