The Power of YouTube for Entrepreneurs of Color
The Opportunity on YouTube for Entrepreneurs of Color
YouTube has become a powerful platform for entrepreneurs of color to connect with their audience and monetize their content. With over 70% of viewers being more aware of new brands and 41% of YouTube users being ethnically diverse, there is a growing demand for content that represents different cultures and life experiences. Small business owners are leveraging YouTube to share videos that not only market their brands but also educate and inspire other aspiring business owners.
For example, Azia Anderson, the founder of prty grl beauty, started sharing videos about her Black-owned business to not only promote her brand but also educate and empower others. Anderson believes that everyone can win through this platform, and she has seen her sales skyrocket after posting tutorial videos. Consumers crave transparency, and entrepreneurs who provide visibility into the behind-the-scenes of their businesses can establish trust and loyalty with their audience.
YouTube Video Ideas for Entrepreneurs of Color
YouTube offers a wide range of video ideas for entrepreneurs of color to showcase their businesses and connect with their audience. Here are a few examples:
1. Studio and Day in the Life Vlogs: Take your audience behind the scenes of your business and show them your day-to-day operations, planning, and team personalities.
2. Tutorials: Share your knowledge and skills by creating how-to videos that provide value to your audience. This not only helps build trust but also establishes you as an expert in your field.
3. Packing Videos: Document the process of packing and mailing orders to give your customers a glimpse into what happens after they make a purchase. This type of video helps bridge the gap between the transaction and the delivery.
4. Launch Updates & Product Features: Announce new product launches or restocks by showcasing the features and benefits of your products. This is a great opportunity to create excitement and engage with your audience.
5. Office and Warehouse Tours: Give your viewers a tour of your workspace, whether it’s an office or a warehouse. Show them where the magic happens and share the story of your business.
6. Q&A Business Chats: Engage with your audience by answering their questions and addressing their concerns. This is a great way to build trust and establish yourself as an expert in your industry.
How to Join the YouTube Partner Program
To monetize your YouTube videos and become eligible for the YouTube Partner Program, you need to meet certain requirements. These include:
– Having at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months (Shorts views don’t count towards this threshold).
– Living in a country or region where the program is available.
– Following YouTube’s monetization policies and community guidelines.
– Having an active AdSense account.
Consistency is key when it comes to growing your channel and becoming eligible for monetization. Upload content regularly and provide value to your audience to increase your subscribers and watch hours.
7 Ways Entrepreneurs of Color Can Earn Money Through YouTube Monetization
Once you’re part of the YouTube Partner Program, there are several ways you can monetize your videos:
1. Watch Page Ads: Earn revenue from ads that play before, during, and after your videos.
2. Shorts Feed Ads: Earn a revenue share from ads viewed between videos in the Shorts feed.
3. Channel Memberships: Offer exclusive perks to your loyal viewers who join your channel for a monthly fee.
4. Shopping: Feature shoppable product links in or below your videos and live streams.
5. Super Chat & Super Stickers: Allow viewers to buy Super Chats or Super Stickers to show their support during live streams and premieres.
6. Super Thanks: Viewers can buy a one-time animation and post a colorful and customizable comment in your video’s comment section.
7. YouTube Premium: Earn a part of the YouTube Premium fee when a viewer who is a YouTube Premium subscriber watches your videos.
YouTube is a powerful platform for entrepreneurs of color to connect with their audience, promote their brands, and monetize their content. By sharing behind-the-scenes videos, tutorials, and other engaging content, entrepreneurs can establish trust and loyalty with their audience while generating revenue through YouTube’s monetization features. With the growing demand for diverse and inclusive content, there has never been a better time for entrepreneurs of color to leverage the power of YouTube to grow their businesses and inspire others. So, grab your camera, start sharing your story, and watch your business thrive on YouTube.